Monday 21 January 2013

Pigeon Privilege


Hat: Topshop     Snood:  Asos      Dungaree Dress: Topshop     Pigeon Brooch: Etsy    Tights: Ebay     Socks: Ebay     Gumboots: Ebay

{My boyfriend and his family just got a puppy Border Collie called Maisy (although I prefer to call her Sir Puppington, Puppelaia, Count Puppula, Pandapop, Pandaface etc) and she's my new best bud. The last few days have consisted of napping by the fire with my little friend, hiding out from the snow and playing growl ball.}

This outfit post is to speak out for pigeon privilege, a matter very close to my heart.  In my 22 years on this earth, too many times have I come across pigeon abuse. I don't know why some people think it's okay if they see a bunch of pigeons just having a Sunday stroll around the park, their first reaction is to run at these birds and try and boot them as hard as they can. Would you do that to a toucan or a penguin? 
I was once walking through Milan with some friends and one veered away from the pigeons, scowling and calling them 'rats with wings' and my mum often says 'they carry diseases'. I find that weird because I've never caught a cough from a pigeon. Also, doesn't every organism carry diseases? Did anyone think that maybe pigeons might catch a flu from us? Pigeons don't even have the NHS. As I've mentioned ye olde 'rats with wings' slur, I might as well say that my writing applies to rats as well (rights for rats). 
Pigeons are domesticated rock doves that have returned to wild or semi-wild conditions. They are one of few animals that have a sense of self and can recognise a picture of themselves in a reflection. Why is everyone amazed when it's a dolphin but never bothered when it's a pigeon?  They can also recognise individual people and are not fooled by a change of clothes. Although they might not be the most elegant looking birds from afar, eating scabby chips of the floor in the town centre, their coat has IRIDESCENT patches. Little patches of magic. And who doesn't love that cooing sound they make that marks the end of a Summer day?
Give peace a chance yo.





2 comments: